The idea that your dog has swallowed something they’re not supposed to can be terrifying for everyone involved. However, no matter how scary it may be, inducing vomiting can save your dog’s life. For certain toxins there’s a 30 minute window from when the dog ingested the substance to when they start to experience serious symptoms. In cases like these, it’s best to have your pet throw up as soon as possible to avoid the worst.
If you ever need to make your dog throw up for any reason, you must call your veterinarian beforehand. If your vet isn’t available, call the Animal Poison Control Center. It’s extremely important to call your vet before inducing vomiting because every situation is different.
When To Make Your Dog Throw Up
You should only induce vomiting in your pet if they have consumed something poisonous. It’s recommended to induce vomiting if your dog has ingested household cleaners, rat poison, antifreeze, marijuana, etc. Before you induce vomiting, call your local vet to walk you through your exact situation.
When Not To Make Your Dog Throw Up
There are many scenarios when inducing vomiting can cause more danger to the situation. This mainly depends on what your dog has ingested. For example, if your dog swallowed a battery or some type of medication, vomiting could cause severe harm. This can also be applied to sharp objects as they may tear the throat on the way up which can be fatal. If a dog is already throwing up, they should also not be administered hydrogen peroxide for induced vomiting.
How To Make Your Dog Throw Up – 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
If you have come to the conclusion with your vet that making your dog throw up is the best course of action, then the best way to do it is with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Serve your dog 1 teaspoon per every 10 pounds of body weight. Open your dog’s mouth and pour it directly down their throat to ensure that they are swallowing it all. If you have a turkey baster, this can help to administer the solution more effectively.